Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Antique Dresser in Terra Cotta Rose

My client found this cabinet outside a local consignment store last summer.  I remember driving by and seeing it out there, considering stopping, driving by, regretting it, and going back only to find it gone.  I was so happy when she called me and told me she had bought it and wanted me to refinish it!  

She already knew what she wanted and so I took it from there. :)

Before




 After

The color is actually from Wal Mart and is called Terra Cotta Rose.  It's a deep coral and I stained over it with Minwax Jacobean to deepen the color a bit more.  The weather was actually really warm here today (finally!) and I found the stain was drying very quickly when I was trying to wipe the sides down.  I just added a bit of mineral spirits to extend the drying time-it was much easier after that (no, it won't take your paint off). ;)






 I loved this detail on the bottom drawer.  We were originally going to do a print in the circle, but I didn't end up liking the way it looked so decided to just detail it in white and antique it. 



 She opted to keep the original pulls and I'm so glad!  I sprayed them with Oil Rubbed Bronze so they would contrast nicely with the color. 


 Another beautiful mahogany veneer on the top.  I sanded it down, stained it with Java Gel from General Finishes, and sealed it with 3 coats of polyacrylic. 






 The doors originally opened with a key, but it was missing and all that was left was a hole in the door. We opted to fill it and do knobs on the doors so it would function well. 



 Cute little legs!! :)



 I'm loving the sheen the polyacrylic gives!  It's Minwax in satin. 



I finished it off by doing the drawer fronts on the inside antique white and she's good to go!

10 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! I love how the stain just deepened the color value, but doesn't look streaky! So nice she bought you, but you still got to 'relove' it! :)
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job once again!!! Beautiful.
    Christina @ She Re Purposed It

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so pretty! Did you just rub the stain over the entire surface? I just painted my piano today, and it is cute, but needs a little something extra.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that turned out so GORGEOUS!!
    Great job!
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I was loving all the details, then you opened the doors and I LOVE the white on the inside! Love it all. The top looks amazing. Which reminds me...have you ever put a new veneer on top of an existing one? All the wood on my buffet is pretty ugly...I'd love to add a walnut veneer to the top and stain (or just clear). Phil thinks he has it figured out, but I wondered if you'd tried that before. :)

    xoxo
    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! I just adore this piece, and I'm in deep love with this color!! Beautiful makeover!!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3