Thursday, November 8, 2012

Back to Black--Antique Dresser

I picked up this dresser from the same gentleman that I bought this buffet from.  I just love when I go to pick something up and they say, "I have some other stuff.  Would you like to look at that, too?"  Uh, yah! :)  He said when they were moving it into his basement his friend dropped and broke the mirror that went with it.  He was not happy. ;)  I didn't want to pay to have the glass replaced (it was big!) and I didn't want to mess with fixing the frame so I left the poor not-so-little broken mirror behind. Is that terrible, or what?  

I will show you my hang-up with this dresser in just a minute....




Before

I can't seem to take a straight pic to save my life!


Love, love, love all the details, but.....



After


Notice anything missing?  The fan!!  I just wasn't feelin' it.  You don't know how I agonized (ok, maybe that's a little dramatic) about keeping it or taking it off.  I was afraid if I took it off it would damage the drawer front.  When I sat down to look at it I realized it was only held on by a few little nails!   Lucky me--that made my decision so much easier, and off it came!  I did save this little piece off the top of it though and just reattached it to the drawer where the fan originally was. 


That made me feel better. ;)

I was disappointed to find that most of the trim work along the bottom edge of the drawer was missing, so I had to take the rest of it off and fill in all the little nail holes.  I wonder how many times the guy putting that stuff on smashed his fingers while trying to hold all those tiny nails!  



Another gorgeous wood top and he had already stripped most of it (again, with his little knife!) so how could I paint it??










I just love how the old finish (this is the only place I didn't sand it all off) is all crackly under the paint around the details.




You know I had to take a picture of the feet!  :)  




 This piece just felt "warm" to me, so I chose a neutral and red stripe fabric to line the drawers.







 I changed out the lower pulls for these knobs because they were a little more substantial.  These bottom drawers are 45" across--they're HUGE!  Great storage ladies!!   I kept the original knobs on the top drawers and just sprayed them in a semi-gloss.












Love this cage filled with pine cones, and they smell aaammmaaazzing. :)





I am so in love with hydrangeas right now!  Aren't these so beautiful?!  I just want to touch them, but I can't cuz they'll fall apart. ;)





Wouldn't this be great as a buffet, too?

FOR SALE: $235.00
dimensions: 49"W x 21"D x 35.5"H





This dresser was featured by Stacey @


Photobucket 

Thank you so much Stacey!!





Linked up here:

Homespun Happenings
504 Main

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful job on refinishing this dresser. I love the black and the fact you changed out the fan decoration. She has lovely legs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an incredible job with this revamp. I have to admit, I loved the fan. It was incredibly eye-catching to me. But the dresser turned out great without it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I think you made the right decision in not keeping the fan :) Thank you so much for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOOW.cool job :)
    and do not miss.....

    S
    A
    T
    U
    R
    D
    A
    Y

    S
    H
    O
    W

    O
    F
    F

    it is FUN :)
    WELCOME
    Håkan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great transformation. You really did an amazing job. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous piece after you gave it some TLC!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the feet. That might be my fave part, so I'm glad you took a pic. Found you at The Rustic Pig!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I concur with the nix on the fan & replacement do-dad, the color on the piece & the lining of the drawers what an unexepected treat for whoever gets her... Oh and her legs are gorgeous too - great job :0)

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3